Tuesday, November 10, 2009

GO CHECK OUT: Lake Street Dive

www.myspace.com/lakestreetdive
http://www.lakestreetdive.com/

The first time I heard Rachael Price sing, my immediate reaction was, "God, why not me?" Impeccable tone, creative phrasing and insane overall vocal control...the girl could make her ABC's sexy. And she's just one of four talented counterparts of Lake Street Dive (I only mention her first because I heard her sing prior to LSD's formation); the band also features Mike Calabrese on drums, Mike Olsen on trumpet, and Bridget Kearney on bass.

I won't pretend to be a music critic by any means, but as a writer (who occasionally attempts to write songs), I tend to be very picky about lyrics. Well, if lyrics were pizza, Lake Street Dive would not only deliver, but you would also get an extra topping of your choice, free cheesy bread and loads of complimentary garlic butter dipping sauce. Rather than wax poetic about their songwriting talent with more terrible metaphors, I'll share my favorite snippets:

"Well, I miss you, but not that much. It's not like I sleep in your clothes; I'm just thinking of you and such."
"You're so friendly and call so often, I almost wish I loved you instead of your friend."
"I've already pictured all the future lives of my neighbors and their subsequent offspring, just sitting by the wayside while they laugh at me in my pilly old stockings."
"No matter how I prep myself, I cannot be prepared for hells I built with my own hands. But when this whole thing goes that way, it's comforting to say that it was always in the plan."
"Feels good to be over you, but it felt good to be under you, so maybe it's just you that feels good."

Lyrically (and I say this with complete love and respect for the first album), I feel like Promises, Promises outshines In This Episode... ever so slightly. I also had the pleasure of hearing some of their newer stuff recently at Cafe Coco last month, and it seems like they are only getting more brilliant with time. I cannot wait for album #3.

So! If you like a well-crafted, sassy, slightly jazzy indie pop sound to your music, please check out Lake Street Dive. You will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment